Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mac Reunion - I know everything about you

I recently attended by 10 year college reunion. Can it really be 10 years? We all look so young...but I guess the 5-year reunion folks did look a bit younger, and the student volunteers were....we we really ever that young? Anyways, a whole bunch of our Macalester Class of 2002 descended upon the Twin Cities to pretend like nothing's changed, including our alcohol tolerance (which, in fact, it has).

I was very excited for reunion - but also a little nervous. Not because I was worried about where I am in life compared to others, not at all. It had to do with FB. Yes, Facebook. Like most people, I am friends with a lot of people that I am not really friends with. What I mean is, we were friends in college, but in the last 10 years I've seen them once - at our 5 year reunion. Yet, I know a lot about them. Who they're dating, where they're working, when they got married, and where they took their last vacation. I found the thought of having a conversation with someone who I haven't seen in years, but already knowing everything what's going on.
My little man at reunion.
Turns out nearly everyone was in the same boat. We all seemed to know everything about each other, and were ok chalking it up to FB stalking. Whew! What a relief!

But, at least for me, this did lead to more awkwardness. For example, as those college years become distant memories, I start to forget how I knew people. Did I have a class with him? Did we live on the same floor? Same major? For example, I would be talking with someone and it was clear that we knew each other. But I couldn't for the life of me conjure up an actual memory from school. Admittedly, I don't have a great memory. But it felt so strange to be talking so familiarly with someone so...unfamiliar.
Kegger - Wallace 3
Overall, I really LOVED reunion. Macalester was a great place for me, and the people I met were (and continue to be) amazing. Since graduation, I have not lived in a city with other Mac grads. I wish it were otherwise. I know that if I lived in a city with some of my other classmates I would absolutely hang out with them, even if we didn't know each well in college (not that I would know!). That said, Mac Class of 2002 you are all invited to Düsseldorf for a visit!

1 comment:

  1. I was also blown away by how young everyone still looks. At 22 I wouldn't have expected 32 to look so good.

    ReplyDelete