Thursday, July 12, 2012

Bittersweet

I am dreading the thought of putting on my jeans. It's been around 100F for the last four days, and we've been at the beach every day. But today I am leaving on a jet plane...and that means jeans. It has been an amazing trip home - one of my most memorable summers for sure.

Simon and I are ready to head home and see Pappa. And we're ready to get back into our daily life over there...sort of. It's just that I have had a lot of help here. Staying with my parents hasn't just meant nearly on-demand child care for Simon. I haven't cooked, done laundry or cleaned in six weeks. Now THAT is a vacation.
Kissing Patis (Grandpa) goodbye!
Life is definitely different on this side of the pond. A load of laundry can be washed and dried in under an hour - truly unimaginable for me! I grew sadly accustomed to throwing Simon in his car seat in the back and taking off in the car. It's just how you get places, and I miss our bike and our stroller. And they speak English over here. I didn't realize how much I missed just being able to clearly communicate what I want to say. Just being at Target and being able to ask where something is located, or describe a product was amazing! And no one gives me dirty looks and customer service...exists! It's quite a treat.

Our life in Germany is different, and I enjoy it for that. I am excited to go back, see my husband, and - oh! - we have a friend arriving for the weekend tomorrow at the same time I get in! The fun doesn't end!
Simon reaching for his Pappa when we arrived!
Pics form our trip are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment