Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Waiting for Mike

I am still pregnant and we are still happily waiting for Baby Mike Wazowski to make her appearance. Yes, our baby girl has been named Mike Wazowski by our 3 year old son, who also happens to be a big fan of Monsters, Inc. He has been calling the baby Mike for months, and now he talks to her all the time.

          "Baby Mike, look at the stick I found."
          "Baby Mike, you like ice cream?"

I don't think that we are actually going to name her Mike (not on our list), and I am sure how he is going to feel about it. But (thanks to Grandpa) he already has plenty of Mike in his life. (In case it isn't clear by now, Mike Wazowski is the one-eyed green monster pictured below.)


I am 34.5 weeks now and feeling pretty good. Still enjoying naps with Simon, who almost always opts to join me even though he stopped napping in April.

Love waking up with him.
And I have nothing but good news from the doctor! Last week my doctor told me that I no longer had to come to the hospital to see her for my prenatal care, and I can go back to the midwives who will deliver my baby. This is very good news for me! I am so happy to be back in the care of the midwives, and know that it will be one from a team of these midwives attending my baby's birth when the time comes. The Dutch maternity care system merits an entire separate post, but I am still sorting that out myself. (Coming soon - I promise!)


34.5 weeks!
Silly faces!
So what else have we been up to while we wait for Baby Mike? Well, Simon has 2 days of creche per week, so that provides Mama with a bit of relief. I have been using that time to strip all of our cloth diapers so they are ready for the baby, and sort and wash all of the baby clothes. AND I almost done with ALL of my Christmas and birthday shopping (4 nieces/nephews with birthdays in the next few months).

Last week I was intensely proud of myself when we headed out in the pouring rain for a play group that is a 20 minute bike ride across town. We were all decked out in our rain boots, pants, and jackets (in my case a rain cape - it's so cool!) and we arrived safe and sound with only wet noses and cheeks. I don't think most Dutch moms would think anything of it, but I thought it was a pretty big deal.

And we sing this sweet song to Baby Mike, Take your Time Girl, and we mean it.


Yup, we're doing just fine waiting for Baby Mike!

1 comment: